Permanent Committee on Addressing
AS/NZS 4819:2011 Rural and urban addressing was prepared by the Street Address Working Group of ICSM for the Joint Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand Committee IT-004, to supersede AS/NZS 4819:2003, Geographic Information – Rural and Urban Addressing. It was published in November 2011.
Significant changes between this edition and the 2003 edition include:
- Water based addressing is covered specifically.
- Addressing of complex sites is simplified.
- New method for sub addressing on multi-level buildings is specified.
- Road types must be selected from a list.
About the Standard
The standard is targeted at local governments and some other addressing authorities who are responsible for assigning addresses and road names. It establishes requirements and guidance for:
- Assigning addresses.
- Naming roads and localities.
- Recording and mapping the related information.
- Signage related to the above.
Benefits of the Standard
- Provides users with the requirements for assigning addresses, naming roads, and defining localities.
- Enables the creation of addresses that are suitable for inclusion in the Geocoded National Address File (G-NAF).
- Improved provision of services for Governments, Emergency Services, Commercial Interests, the Information Industry and the Community who use street addresses.
Obtaining a copy of the Standard
Developing the Standard
The following organisations were involved in developing the Standard:
- Landgate - WA
- Dept of Environment & Resource Management – QLD
- Dept of Sustainability & Environment – VIC
- Dept for Administrative and Information Services - SA
- ACT Planning and Land Authority – ACT
- Land & Property Information – NSW
- Dept of Primary Industries, Parks, Water & Environment – TAS
- Dept of Lands and Planning – NT
- Land Information New Zealand
- PSMA Australia Ltd
- Australia Post
- New Zealand Post
- Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations – Aust Govt
- Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority – VIC
- Standards Australia