Permanent Committee on Tides and Mean Sea Level
The Permanent Committee on Tides & Mean Sea Level (PCTMSL) is a technical sub-committee of ICSM, with representation from national, state, port and scientific agencies engaged in the determination of tides and sea level. The agencies represented include the Australian Hydrographic Office, the National Tidal Centre, the Bureau of Meteorology, the Australian Antarctic Division, the Australian Academy of Science, the Association of Australian Ports and Marine Authorities, state marine agencies and port authorities.
The role of the PCTMSL is to:
- co-ordinate a national database of tidal records.
- develop national standards and best practice guidelines for tidal related matters.
- acts as a focal point for national enquiries relating to tides and mean sea level.
The Australian Tides Manual
The PCTMSL prepared and periodically updates a manual for tides in the Australian context. It was published in 2004 as the Australian Tides Manual. (SP9) This was originally published by the National Mapping Council in 1984 as the booklet Recommended Operating Procedures for Tide Gauges on the National Network; Special Publication 9 (or SP9).
The Manual has been expanded and up–dated and is now available in .PDF format.
Australian Tides Manual V4.1 updated October 2011 (941 KB)
Site Selection Specifications for Tidal Stations
- Site Selection Specifications for Tidal Stations (page 1)
- Instrument Specifications for High Precision Sea Level Monitoring Stations (pages 2-9)
- Tide Gauge Survey Instructions (pages 10-17)
- Interpretation of Tide Constituent Sa (page 18)
Accuracy of Tidal Predictions
An assessment of the factors which contributing to confidence in the accuracy of tidal predictions can be accessed here.
Current Activities of PCTMSL
The groups current activities include:
- Developing an Australian Tidal Data exchange format to assist in data exchange between agencies and users.
- Standardising tidal analysis methods to provide for improved tidal predictions for safe navigation of large vessels.
- Investigation of mean sea levels around Australia and their significance for land-based vertical datums.
PCTMSL News, covering items of interest including work being carried out by the National Tidal Centre and state/port authorities, is included in the ICSM Newsletter which is produced every six months.
Web Sites of Interest
- National Tidal Centre (NTC)- http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/
- Australian Hydrographic Service (AHS) - http://www.hydro.gov.au
- Global Sea Level Observing System (GLOSS) - http://www.bodc.ac.uk/data/information_and_inventories/gloss_handbook/
- Permanent Service on Mean Sea Level (PSMSL) - http://www.psmsl.org/
Tidal Interface Working Group (TIWG)
In November 2006, ICSM disbanded its Tidal Interface Working Group (TIWG). This had developed a Compendium of Terms Associate with the Tidal Interface Zone. Activities relating to the tidal interface zone will primarily be undertaken by the PCTMSL.
For further information contact:
Secretary PCTMSL (Jasbir Randhawa)
Locked Bag 8801
Wollongong, NSW 2500
Phone: (02) 4221 8672
Fax: (02) 4221 8599